Sunday, June 30, 2013

Review on Rohto Eye Moisturizer Overnight Treatment Eye Drops (樂敦養潤水)

I've been test-driving the Rohto Eye Moisturiser Overnight Treatment Eye Drops for around 3 weeks now before offering it for sale on our website. I'm overall quite impressed with it!


What is this product meant to do?  The Rohto Eye Moisturiser is contains 4 active ingredients:
Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate(0.4%) --> glycosaminoglycan, lubricant
Potassium L-Aspartate(1%) --> amino acid
Aminoethyl sulfonic Acid(Taurine)(0.1%) --> amino acid
A-a-tocopherol Acetate(0.03%) --> aka Vitamin E
These ingredients supposedly promote the metabolism and repair of corneal cells while you sleep.  The chondroitin sulfate and sodium hyaluronate base are meant to increase the viscosity of your tears, increasing your eyes' natural lubrication which allows it to hold in more moisture and prevent your eyes from drying out during the day.

How is this different from regular eye drops?  This product is not a "tears replacement" type of product that you use during the day whenever your eyes feel dry from wearing contacts (for that, try the popular Rohto Lycee eye drops). Instead you use it on your naked eye, twice per day. I put in 2 drops in each eye once in the morning after washing my face and at night before going to bed.

So how does it perform? I wear contact lenses every day of the working week and by the end of the week I admit that my eyes are usually pretty tired and get irritated easily. The Rohto Eye Moisturiser has definitely helped alleviate some of the dryness.  After the first week, I noticed that my eyes actually felt quite comfortable at the end of the day of wearing contacts. I was able to wear circle lenses from morning til night with need for my regular Rohto Lycee eye drops only once during the day. (Not saying that is healthy so do bring out an extra lens case with solution to remove your lenses if needed).  These eye drops worked as promised in increasing the natural lubrication of my tears. I noticed that, in the morning, my eyes felt "stickier," evidencing that the mucous secretion from my eyes had increased. As weird or unappealing as that may sound, though, this helped my lenses from drying out during wear.

The one con about this product would be that each drop dispensed is pretty big. A single drop was enough to spill out of my eye. Just a small annoyance. Also, these eye drops are SUPER MINTY. If you think the Rohto Lycee eye drops are minty, wait til you try these! It was a slightly overwhelming the first time I used it but after that this minty feeling turned out to be quite refreshing.

Overall, I'd highly recommend this product for daily users of not just circle lenses, but contact lenses in general, especially for those of you who stare at a monitor all day or are subject to dry air conditioning in an office.

Rohto Eye Moisturiser Overnight Treatment Drops can be purchased here at EyeCandy's.

1 comment:

  1. Such a pity we don't have this available in Singapore, we would have to buy it from overseas. I've heard so much good stuff about the Lychee one as well.

    followed you & really love your blog
    http://thesnowflowerrr.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!